You have a million things you HAVE to do TODAY. You need to finish your paperwork, call some clients, send a newsletter, read an article, do some more paperwork, call that icky client, start your taxes, arggg!
I can tell you that there are probably only two or three things that you HAVE to do today to grow your business, sell something or get a new prospect. Those are the only things you HAVE to do today! (If you owe money to the IRS you may HAVE to talk to them today – you have my permission!)
So if you only have a few things you HAVE to do, you must WANT to do all that other busy work you have set up for yourself, right? We humans are funny creatures, we like to keep busy, to feel needed, to do important work. If we have lots to do we can justify to ourselves not getting some vital things done.
That ends today people! Today you need to figure out the top 3 things that you need to do for your business and EVERY day, before you do anything else, those things have to be done!
For my business, my top three things are:
- Lead generating – writing blog posts, attending mastermind sessions, writing articles, emailing prospects
- Strategic planning – getting the systems in place so that when opportunity knocks I am ready
- Writing Ebooks or speaking in person – this is my actual physical work!
If you are a realtor, yours may look like this:
- Lead generating – holding open houses, blogging about a neighborhood, sending out emails to your database, sending a newsletter, calling your prospects or clients and asking for referrals, attending network events
- Strategic planning – organizing your calendar, targeting neighborhoods or niches, working on your database, setting upÂ automaticÂ emails to your prospects
- Actual Realtor Work – taking listings, signing buyer broker agreements, showing houses, servicing your listings, writing contracts, negotiating contracts, and attending closings
Doing anything other than those things is a waste of your valuable time! You need to make sure that something from those lists is on your calendar every day!
Write these things out and hang them on the wall. Anytime something comes in that seems urgent, hold it up to your list and see if it something you HAVE to do…you may be surprised how much you have been doing that isÂ unnecessaryÂ busywork that you just have a habit of doing.