There are hundreds of types of businesses who want to sell to Realtors. Some of them are GREAT and really would provide a value and some are just trying to pick “low hanging fruit”. Your success with converting this coveted profession will probably depend on your motivation and how much value you can provide them!
How I Know
Just to give you a little back story, I work with Realtors on a daily basis in my coaching and social media business. Two of my three besties are Realtors and I myself have a real estate license in Florida (since 2007!) My website ranks really highly for Realtor Marketing | Real Estate Marketing since I have talked about that topic for years and provide great information about how they can grow and build their businesses. I have written three books for Realtors and have courses and training for them too.
All that said, I do not feel entitled to have Realtors use my services. Just like the old saying, you can only lead a horse to water, you can’t make it drink. It would probably help to remember that as you go through this post!
Who Wants To Work With Realtors
Let’s start by getting this out of the way. Since you are reading this you are probably in a profession wants to sell to Realtors on some level. So are about a million other people like:
Social Media “Experts”
Coaches & Authors
Why Does Everyone Want To Sell To Realtors?
- Because they are a homogenous group with an association
- There is a centralized governing body so lists can be bought and advertising done
- They “make big commissions” so they can afford to spend loads of money (that is sarcasm)
- It is easy to find them, they have to advertise!
- There are lots of new agents coming into the profession daily
Why They Don’t Want To Work With You
The main reason that Realtors ignore 99% of the marketing pitches that come their way is that there is just a flood of “buy my stuff, buy my stuff” coming at them. I have not been an active agent for almost 7 years and still get 3-4 calls a week from someone trying to sell me something. Active agents are getting A LOT of calls, emails and pitches every day.
If you are approaching them directly with just a sales pitch, you may make some sales, but you are going to miss a lot more.
And those “big commissions”… Realtors work harder for no money than any other group of people I have met. If they spend days, weeks or months working on a deal and it falls through, they get 0% commission. If a buyer changes their mind or decides to buy new construction or a FSBO without them, oftentimes there is no pay for that either.
I actually left the profession because I was not cut out for the high-highs and low-lows that come with real estate sales. For every period of “feast” there is a comparable period of “famine”. Stop looking at them with dollar signs in your eyes and start treating them like the hard working professionals they are.
How To Get Them To WANT To Work With You!
There are lots of ways to attract the attention of Realtors that don’t involve shoving your product or service down their throat. Fair warning, these do take more work than “dialing for dollars” or just sending out an eflyer to the local MLS database, but I promise they work! They are listed in order from the most passive and least expensive to actual marketing campaigns and strategies.
- Pinterest Boards – set up Pinterest boards that have content they can repin and share on their boards.
- Blog Posts – write blog posts that help them or provide information they can use on their blogs.
- Newsletter Content – hire a writer to do a monthly article that agents can send out in their newsletters.
- Lead Generate For Them – you can provide signs and call prospects, co-produce postcards and help pay for mailings.
- Open Houses – Realtors sit alone in vacant buildings, go visit them.
- Sponsor Brokers Open Houses – help with the planning and implementation of their brokers opens (bonus points if it is a progressive).
- Speak At Their Team Meeting – this gets you access to the agents in one office, great for building relationships.
- Sponsor A Speaker – agents from lots of offices might attend and you can get a mix of different agencies.
- Help Them Farm – this is more than passively sending postcards…get out there and door knock with them, set up yard sales, AND co-brand mailings.
The last strategy (and the one that works the BEST for growing relationships) is a Home Preparation Program. This one is a little more complicated and won’t fit into a blog post, but YAY! I am doing a webinar next Wednesday in conjunction with the CSP (Certified Staging Professionals) and we will be going more in depth to all of these strategies!
Sign Up For The Webinar
Ten Ways To Woo Realtors So They Work With You Every Time
You hear it all the time, “Just call some Realtors and see if they will recommend your services to their clients.”
Realtors and stagers should be like two peas in a pod. You make their houses beautiful and they sell them faster for happy homeowners, but somehow it feels like they won’t listen to all the great reasons to hire you.
Join Christine Rae and her guest Real Estate Marketing Expert, Tara Jacobsen for this hour long webinar as they teach actionable steps you can use to attract their attention and increase the number of Realtors who refer you EVERY TIME.
Tara will teach you how to cut through the red tape that seems to keep Realtors on guard, what to say once they notice you, how to become a trusted advisor and more! (including one really powerhouse idea that will get you in front of SO many more Realtors than you ever dared imagine!)
This webinar was recorded and is available on demand.
Thanks to Christine Rae of Certified Staging Professionals who sponsored this webinar! While it is targeted to home stagers, the strategies and techniques that we talk about will work with ANY of the professions listed above!