Small Business & Entrepreneur Marketing Focus

Having a small business marketing focus is the one thing that will increase your chances for success dramatically! The business owners and entrepreneurs who are clear about their products and services will succeed every time over someone with a great idea but no goals.

Small Business And Entrepreneur Marketing FocusOne of my buddys, Dunedin Realtor Deborah Ward, posted this Brian Tracy quote on Facebook today, “Every great achievement of humankind has been preceded by a long period of hard, concentrated work until the job was done. Your ability to select your most important task, to begin it, and then to concentrate on it single-mindedly until it is complete is the key to high levels of performance and personal productivity.”

Brian Tracy is one of my idols. Whenever I get a bit off track, I make sure to listen to a bit of his no-nonsense, shut up and do it, advice. This advice applies both to day-to-day tasks as well as the overall focus of your business.

What is your product or service?

I cannot believe how many small business owners are not laser focused on what they sell. If they have a shop or storefront, other non-focused items creep in. If they are a services based company, many times they will accept a one off client that will suck the life out of their time and resources.

When I first sit down with a client to do a marketing consult, I ask what their company is selling. Usually I will get a long winded story about what is going on now, what they tried in the past, what failed and some excuses for why they are not more focused right now.

In my business I sell speaking (workshops and paid gigs), information products like my membership site and affiliate products for other people and I also have monthly clients. That is it.

If you cannot state in one sentence EXACTLY what you are selling, stop everything right now and figure that out. You cannot have more than three things because with more, you are not able to focus on anything.

How to implement your marketing focus

Next you need to make sure that you doing something for each of those things every day. Put it in your calendar and check it off when you complete it, every day. Make sure it is either providing a third of your income or a third of your leads.

I KNOW – you are busy working on your work. You do not have time to pay attention to your core goals and income every single day. REALLY? If you are not laser focused on what you should be doing, I can guarantee that at least some of what you are so busy on is not core to your success.

Ignore everything else

If you know exactly what you are selling, you can ignore everything else. When you see a new opportunity, make sure that you ask yourself if it is in line with what you say your business is about. EVEN if it seems like it will just take a couple of minutes away from what you are doing now. EVEN if it seems like it would be a perfect fit for your current customer base. DO NOT DO IT!

Some hard truths

If you feel even a little uncomfortable right now, there is a good chance that you are not as rock solid sure of your company’s goals, products or services. If you think I am stupid and you are never going to read anything I write again, you may like the fun of chasing shiney new things, rather than putting your head down and working towards a goal for at least 6 months at a time.

Even if you never come back here, do me a favor. Write down the three things your business does or sells. Put it up on the bulletin board in front of you and every time you see something new come along, see if it EXACTLY matches on of those three things. If not, just say no!

If you have a small business or entrepreneur marketing focus success story, please share it here with a link to your site!!!

I am having a sale on my $250 marketing consult! For the month of August only, you can get a two hour “meeting” for just $100. I put this out to my newsletter list last month and three small business owners and entrepreneurs are now on track and ready to go! If you would like to find out more, give me a call at 727-415-9165!

Tara Jacobsen, Marketing Speaker, Consultant, AuthorTara Jacobsen is the owner of Marketing Artfully, a marketing services and consulting company focused on small businesses, entrepreneurs and Realtors. Find out more about her Small Business Marketing Services today!

Comments

1. says

I love the 3 squares, it keeps me focused and on track with what I am doing in my company. As an entrepreneur it can be difficult sometimes to stay on track and not chase every opportunity. It is easy now if it does not fit in my 3 squares then I don’t have to do it!!

2. says

Great advice Tara. After I sat down with you, I started focusing on my core business and market. My revenues have literally doubled and I am on track to quadruple them by the end of the year. More people would be successful if they would COMMIT to their business instead of constantly shifting to the “next big thing” or being willing to take “any job” that brings in revenue. You can’t be successful in a business that you can’t define. It’s just that simple.

3. Tara Jacobsen says

@Amber – isn’t it nice to be able to have a graceful way to tell people that additional opportunities are not a good fit for you!

@Barbara – I couldn’t agree more! The jumping around and chasing the next shiney thing are BIG hazards for us entrepreneurs…:) SO glad to hear that you are so on track and isn’t it amazing how revenues grow with a solid business focus?

4. says

All I can say is Tara knows her stuff and has the gift of insights that enables her to spend that small amount of time with a business and truly help you get laser focused. She helped us about 18 month ago and our business has more than doubled and we are happier and more profitable than ever so like she said – if any of that made you uneasy – I encourage you to take her up on her offer and invest the time to decide and commit to the 3 things YOUR business is going to do well.

PS The hardest thing for me wasn’t figuring out the 3 things we needed to be doing (which Tara reinforced and help me be accountable for)….ultimately it was following her advice and saying NO to all the “other opportunites” (distractions in disguise) that continually present themselve but AREN’T those 3 we needed to stay focused on which had huge payoffs for us!!

Our 2 hour consult generated at least six figures in additional profit in our business the past 18 months, so yeah, I’m a raving fan of Tara’s consulting!!

5. Tara Jacobsen says

@Cyndee – I am humbled by this. Thank you so much for the great testimonial and for rocking the real estate world!!!

6. says

For all you entrepreneurs out there, first off I applaud you and admire you and know what courage and faith in who you are and what you do keep up the great work we need you!!

This awesome gift we have comes with it a big challenge! You are like dah, many challenges!! The biggest one of all I think is often we become distracted by so many opportunities it’s hard to say “NO” and we get side tracked!! Hello , do I still have your attention? That’s why I love the 3 squares

Yes it’s true this concept helps me keep on track and very focused and when other opportunities come up if it’s not in alignment with my 3 squares I say “NO” with no regret or guilt!! It’s a year commitment and then watch what happens you attract idea’s and all the resources you need to accomplish the success of those 3squares because of the focus your not scattered. Do the power of three and watch what happens!!!!

7. Tara Jacobsen says

@Lisa – how funny is it that we have to have a reason for saying no! As an entrepreneur all those extra opportunities are just distractions that keep us from succeeding!!!

Trackbacks